Thursday, October 10, 2013

My Little Project

   Ok I am going to see if I can do this lol , I am going to try and add some pics to this blog. Hopefully you have read my blog titled "Is This A Sign ?" if not this is where it is

http://oldmanbill.blogspot.com/2013/09/is-this-sign.html


  Well as I said in it I would blog about what I have gotten with the money. Ok I decided that I would buy two pieces of wood to do some burning on, but first I needed to ask my father in law what his favorite old car and old truck is. You see I wanted to make an x-mass gift for him out of these two pieces of wood ! Ok so he tells me a 1956 Chevy ( I believe he was talking about a Bel - air ) and a 1936 Stewart Truck. So I go on the internet and find two pics

 the 1956 Chevy.
 
 
 
and the 1936 Stewart Truck 
 
 
       Now all I need to do is make a template to use from these pics and transfer it to the wood with carbon paper. So I carefully trace them out and do the transfer. After that I get to the fun part ! The burning !
 
 
                                                                                                                                                            




    I love working with wood and will have a blog later on about the woodshop I used to run out of my house years ago. I hope to have one again some day. But I am starting to get off the subject lol. So now that I have these nice two wood burnings I take it one step further and paint them. The 56' Chevy I used two mediums , one was acrylic paint and the other was ink, the ink was actually what you could call preset, in other words what I did was took some ink and let it start to separate so I had a thick base to work with and used a brush instead of a pen. It is called "sun - up blue" and the paints where just white and a metallic color called gun metal grey. It was supposed to be metallic silver but it was put in the wrong spot at the store and I didn't realize right away until the brush had already hit the wood. Yes I was not paying much attention at the time.


   The 36' Truck I just used the paints and at this time I left the grill with the wood color instead of filling it in. I don't know for sure if I want to go all the way and fill it or not. Once I am done with both of them I will be putting on a couple of coats of polyurethane. Then placing some eye screws with fishing line so they can be hung up on the wall.

Now I know that my father in law won't see this because one; he does not have a facebook account. And two; he only goes on the internet to look up car parts lol so anyone connected with him I do ask that you please do not say anything to him! remember this is for x-mas ! I hope you enjoyed reading this blog as much as I did making it and the wood burnings !

No comments:

Post a Comment